Monday, February 8, 2010

Runner, what?

I am proud to announce: I am the newest registered runner of the SheZoni Run 2010!!  I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared.  I am not a runner.  At. All.  I might even be experiencing heart palpitations right now just thinking about it.  Ugh!  Why do I do this to myself?  I will tell you, however, I am excited at the same time.  I used to run.  By run, I mean a slight jog that was so slow most speed walkers could pass me by and finish any kind of distance much faster that I.  That being said, when I "ran", I loved it.  I felt the fresh ocean air enter my lungs and the soft pavement below my tennis shoes as I dodged the fast passing cars on the Kam Highway.  Oh, did I forget to mention this was when I was in college.  It is much easier to run in Hawaii.  Period.  It's actually enjoyable there!  Like I said there's fresh air, beautiful scenery, and unless your playing in the ocean or laying leisurely by it, there's nothing else to do!  So, I ran.  Let's see, that was about 9, yes that's NINE, years ago!!  Aaahhhhh!

You may be asking yourselves (the possible 3 of you who might stumble on to my blog) "what has brought on this sudden interest in running?"  Well, sudden is probably the wrong word to use.  Like I mentioned before, I used to run and enjoy it.  I've been considering in recent months getting started again at it.  I've been hearing of friends and clients alike, who have started running, kinda out of nowhere.  It's inspired me!  I guess you could say all you runners out there have lit a small fire under my butt! (even if that small fire may only be burning coals, and not an actual flame producing fire)  But, what really got me going, were two of my sisters.  About three weeks ago Jennifer and Stephanie participated in their very first 1/2 marathon!!  THEY ARE ROCKSTARS!!!  First of all, one year ago, neither of them were runners.  Jennifer would get up every morning and get on her treadmill and walk for days, but run?  No, she was a professional walker, and crazy strong intense work-outer.  Stephanie liked going to the gym, but I don't really know how intense she worked out.  All I know, is a few years ago when I would occasionally go to the gym with her, it wasn't exactly kill your body hard.  We got a good workout in, it just wasn't KILLER. I know she stepped it up, I just didn't know exactly how "stepped-up" until she told me she was going to run.  They are FREAKS! but rockstars nonetheless.  Now, I can't let them show me up like that!  I've got to get myself in shape and run a full marathon!  How do you like that for competition?!  hahahah!  I'm totally kidding!! (kinda)

I will keep you posted on my quest to become a runner, for sure!  If I don't, I will most likely fail miserably.  So I ask of you this: Please please please, ask me about it!!  Make me tell you all about my misery while running, the pain, the joy, and even the embarassing moments when I trip and fall ever so gracefully.

Next step:  register for Pat's Run.  (I know, it's a little out of order considering Pat's Run is one week before the SheZoni Run.  But, give me a break!  It's an entire mile longer!!)


3 comments:

Jules AF said...

Good luck!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

I'm gonna try to join you Sabe! We'll see if I can get my prego butt in gear!

Malia said...

good luck :)